APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 25, 2024
REGISTRATION IS LIMITED TO THE FIRST 25 APPLICANTS
- Performance of two memorized selections; one musical theatre or classical selection and another of contrasting style: Classical, Pop, Gospel, Jazz or original composition.
- Accompanist is provided at no cost to the applicant. Applicant is responsible for bringing readable and clearly marked music for the accompanist to use. You are welcome to bring your own accompanist if you so wish.
- April 6, 2024 – 10am-4pm – (Winners will be announced at the end of the competition)
- NKU - Greaves Concert Hall - 1 Louie B Nunn Drive, Highland Heights, KY 41099
- Applicants will be notified by email of audition times, no later than Friday, March 29, 2024
- First Place…………………….……………..$500
- Second Place…………………….…………$250
- Third Place…………………….…………….$100
- Rising Star Awards…………………………$50
- The competition will begin at 10am on April 6, 2024.
- Each student will have a 7 min time slot. There will be a timer present and will call “time” in the unlikely situation that your songs go over time.
- Students are to check-in at least 20 minutes prior to their scheduled performance time. There will be warm up rooms available.
- Once you arrive at NKU, please be sure to check in at Greaves Concert Hall. Signs will be posted around the building leading you to do the check in table.
- You will not have the opportunity to rehearse with the pianist in advance of the competition.
- All songs must be memorized.
- Singers will need to provide one (1) copy of printed music for the accompanist that is clear and easy to read for each of their songs. Please make sure that your music is complete and not missing the bass clef. The printed music should be in a binder, double sided and well marked. It is not necessary to send your music in advance of the competition. It should be brought with you the day of the competition.
- If there are changes in your repertoire on the day of the competition, you will be asked to announce the changes before you sing.
- There is no hard and fast rule regarding dress. We recommend you wear your “Sunday Best”. Dresses should be an appropriate length for stage. If you are wearing high heels, make sure that you can walk in them. Keep in mind that your appearance will make an impression on the judges.
- Enter the stage with authority, give your music to the pianist, and move to the crook or the bend of the piano. Smile and then announce your name and your first selection. Please do not announce where you are from, your age, or your year in school. There will be no applause so you will not need to bow.
- There will be three professional adjudicators. Singers are adjudged on beauty of voice, technical skill, musicality, accuracy, communication of text, diction, and presentation.
- All events are free and open to the public. We encourage parents, siblings, teachers, and other family members to come and watch the entire day. We do ask the audience to refrain from applause after your performance so it is not necessary to bow. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn from and support other students.
- Winners will be announced at the award ceremony at the end of the competition once the judges have tallied their scores and chosen the winners. We ask that you stay for the award ceremony if you are available, but it is not required. If you are a winner and are not at the ceremony, your award will be mailed to you.